Patricia Lynn Henley
Creative and detail-oriented writer, editor, proofreader, and project manager. Equally skilled at crafting perfect phrases, managing complex projects, and working both independently and collaboratively. Capable of tackling a wide range of topics, on tight deadlines. Experienced with AP and other style guidelines; proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, content management systems, and basic HTML.
Writer, editor, proofreader, or project manager on a contract basis; April 2014 to present
- Editor/project manager for What’s New blog with monthly press releases, publishing on a Drupal-platform website, for Sonoma County Tourism
- Newsletter editor for three monthly newsletters and one quarterly newsletter for Sonoma County Tourism
- Write evergreen articles for Sonoma County Tourism website, with an eye for SEO-optimization; also review and update existing evergreen articles
- Write and edit advertorial, editorial, and advertising copy for Studio M Publishing
- Proofread and edit legal, academic, and technical materials and manuscripts for a variety of clients
Senior staff writer; May 2009 to November 2013
Founded in 2006, CostHelper provides consumer-related information on thousands of goods and services; at its peak the site earned more than a million hits a month.
- Took a lead role in writing, editing, proofreading, and publishing articles and daily blog posts as this start-up website’s library grew from a few hundred to thousands of topics.
- Managed editorial workload and calendar; prepared content for publishing on the company’s internal content management system (using basic HTML).
Writer, editor, proofreader; April 2005 to November 2009
Projects included online content, newspaper stories, magazine articles, and manuscripts. Met all deadlines with well-researched and thoughtful stories and text.
North Bay Bohemian
Reporter, part time; November 2005 to December 2007
Assignments ranged from news briefs of 100 to 400 words, to 3,000- to 4,000-word feature stories for an alternative newsweekly in Northern California (circulation 29,000).
News editor, reporter; June 1995 to April 2005
Produced a high volume of features and hard news stories on tight deadlines for a twice-weekly community newspaper (circulation 8,000) in Sonoma, California. Assigned topics and edited articles by staff and freelance reporters; managed workflow for Entertainment section.
Master’s degree in journalism, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Bachelor’s degree in philosophy, California State University, Sacramento, CA, summa cum laude
Associate degree in graphic arts, Mission Community College, Santa Clara, CA, with honors
California Newspaper Publishers Association: first placein 2004 and 1998 for Best Lifestyle Coverage; first place in 1997 for Best Environmental Reporting; and a lead member of editorial teams that won first place for General Excellence in 1999 and 1996
Reader’s Digest Excellence in Journalism Award at Stanford University, February 1995