Patricia Lynn Henley
Creative and detail-oriented writer, editor, proofreader, and project manager. Equally skilled at crafting perfect phrases, managing complex projects, and working both independently and collaboratively. Capable of tackling a wide range of topics on tight deadlines. Experienced with AP and other style guidelines; proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and content management systems.
Writer, editor, proofreader, project manager; April 2014 to present.
- Create easy-to-read web content explaining disability and housing benefits for Eightfold Way Consultants, which develops websites for government agencies and nonprofit organizations. Research and write articles, and perform a variety of tasks including proofreading, copy editing, content maintenance, SEO optimization, interviewing and coordinating with subject matter experts, and entering English and Spanish text into the company’s proprietary content management system.
- Crafted engaging destination marketing content for Sonoma County Tourism; served as editor/project manager for a variety of email newsletters (using Constant Contact) and the What’s New blog/monthly press release; and maintained content by checking articles based on a monthly list.
- Wrote and edited promotional copy for Studio M Publishing and Wine Country Walking Tours.
- Proofread and edit legal, academic, and technical materials and manuscripts for a variety of clients.
Senior staff writer; May 2009 to November 2013
Founded in 2006, CostHelper provides consumer-related information on thousands of goods and services; at its peak the site earned more than a million hits a month. Took a lead role in writing, editing, proofreading, and publishing articles and daily blog posts as this start-up website’s library grew from a few hundred to thousands of topics. Managed editorial workload and calendar, and prepared content for publishing on the company’s internal content management system (using basic HTML).
Writer, editor, proofreader; April 2005 to November 2009
Projects included online content, newspaper stories, magazine articles, and manuscripts. Met all deadlines with well-researched and thoughtful stories and text.
North Bay Bohemian
Reporter, part time; November 2005 to December 2007
Assignments ranged from news briefs of 100 to 400 words, to 3,000- to 4,000-word feature stories for an alternative newsweekly in Northern California (circulation 29,000).
News editor, reporter; June 1995 to April 2005
Produced a high volume of features and hard news stories on tight deadlines for a twice-weekly community newspaper (circulation 8,000) in Sonoma, California. Assigned topics and edited articles by staff and freelance reporters; managed workflow for Entertainment section.
- Master’s degree in journalism, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Bachelor’s degree in philosophy, California State University, Sacramento, CA, summa cum laude
- Associate degree in graphic arts, Mission Community College, Santa Clara, CA, with honors
- California Newspaper Publishers Association:
- First place, 2004 and 1998 for Best Lifestyle Coverage
- First place, 1997 for Best Environmental Reporting
- A lead member of editorial teams that won first place for General Excellence in 1999 and 1996
- Reader’s Digest Excellence in Journalism Award at Stanford University, February 1995